|Matadero. Casa del Lector by Antón García-Abril. © Roland Halbe|
Catching up on news, the winners of the 2012 FAD Prizes were announced this summer. And though based in Barcelona and traditionally anti-centric, the two most significant awards this year went to projects designed by multiple teams in Madrid.
The Prize for Architecture went to the conversion of the sprawling halls of Madrid's early 20th century slaughterhouses, the Matadero, into a sprawling cultural center.
|Madrid Rio. Bridge by Dominique Perrault. Photo: DC|
Like Madrid Rio, the Matadero project has is sponsored by the municipal government, which has conceived the complex as "a creativity support center." And it describes the rehab of the existing pavilions as a "field of experimentation for new architecture" (both quotes from the Matadero web page).
- Nave 16, dedicated to art and artists' studios, by the architects Alejandro Vírseda, Iñaqui Carnicero and Ignacio Vila Almazán.
- The Casa del Lector or House of the Reader, operated by a private foundation and opening this month, by Antón García-Abril
- The Cineteca by José María Churtichaga and Cayetana de la Quadra Salcedo
- Plaza Matadero and other outdoor spaces, by Ginés Garrido, Carlos Rubio y Fernando Porras
- Escaravox, plaza shading devices, by Andrés Jaque
- Nave de Múscia by María Langarita and Víctor Navarro
- Entry Pavilion by Arturo Franco
- Design Center by José Antonio García Roldán
- Naves del Español, run by the national Teatro Español and designed by theater director Mario Gas and stage designers Jean Guy Lecat and Francisco Fontanals, under the coordination of municipal architect Emilio Esteras
- Home of the Ballet Nacional de España and the Compañía Nacional de Danza, rehabbed in the 1990s by Antonio Fernández Alba
|Escaravox shading devices by Andrés Jaque. Image: Andrés Jaque.|
|Nave de Música by María Langarita & Victor Navarro. Photo © Luis Diaz Diaz|
|Nave 16. Photo © Roland Halbe|
|Cineteca by Churtichaga & De la Quadra Salcedo|
|Nave de Musica, Plaza from Wikipedia by AlesKubr2|